What’s Going On: SmartFresh is not “just for apples” anymore! Tomatoes, too!
SmartFresh, the almost magical new apple storage treatment was introduced a couple of years ago by AgroFresh. Since then it has taken a huge market share in the U S apple industry. It has a huge share in Europe too.
SmartFresh comes in the form of little pellets which, when combined with water, form a gas. The gas permeates the apples in controlled atmosphere storage and greatly decreases the costly disease known as “superficial apple scald”. The gas also has the effect of reducing the softening of apples in storage and also adds to apple shelf life.
Now, the experts are touting SmartFresh’s benefits for fresh tomatoes! SmartFresh slows down the coloring process for fresh tomatoes. It is so effective that the coloring transition from “breaker” to full ripe can be delayed a week! Moreover, SmartFresh slows down coloring no matter how ripe the tomato is when it is treated.
Just imagine loading a truck of Roma tomatoes at a #4 color in Bakersfield and delivering them to Boston with the same #4 color! Just drop in the pellets, shut the door and drive! What an improvement in eating quality! The possibilities are endless!
Maybe the SmartFresh team will try exotic fruits next….what about Mango?
Food Safety Perspective…
The USDA is considering the adoption of national safe handling standards on leafy greens similar to those standards currently being used in California. The agency is considering public comment until Dec 3 on whether to require a federal Marketing Agreement (voluntary for growers and handlers) or a federal Marketing Order (mandatory for growers and handlers). You can post your comment at: http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main. Reference: Florida Grower To Go, Oct 22, 2007.
Food Sanitation Technology
Ozone: A Quick Study—11 helpful points
1) Ozone was accepted by U S EPA in 2001! For all Fruits and Vegetables!
2) Ozone is OMRI listed….that means it is Organic Approved and NOP compliant
3) Ozone is the fastest/strongest oxidizer sanitizer known to man
4) Ozone is a natural product….produced every time lightning strikes the earth.
5) Ozone leaves no chemical residues.
6) Ozone is economical….one time capital expense.
7) Ozone is manufactured at your site from the air!
8) Ozone requires no chemical inventories.
9) Ozone can be blended with water to use in a spray line rinse.
10) Ozone can be mixed with storage room atmosphere.
11) Ozone can be explained fully with reference to your operation. Just call us
Your Corner: Who to Contact
Circulation is Rising!
2688 email addresses!
The Dawson Company – your link to the
Heartbeat of Agricultural Technology!!
VALUE that enhances YOUR bottom line!
Utilize sound business knowledge of post harvest, pre harvest, food safety technologies to enhance value to our clients and their value chain by:
* Creating Market Penetration for specialized agricultural chemical products.
* Representing Products qualified for their efficacy and environmental rationality.
* Penetrating Markets qualified for our client’s products utilizing skills of market intelligence, market analysis, intellectual property rights, regulatory and organic expertise, food safety principles, sales management, and long term customer relationships.
* Dedicating our efforts in Maximizing Profit for our clients, and those who utilize our client’s products.
We celebrate sustainability of each of the vital links of the value chain.